DOJ Official Says There Is Evidence for Sedition Charges in US Capitol Attack: ’60 Minutes’


WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Federal investigators have uncovered evidence that would likely allow the government to pursue sedition charges against some of those involved in the deadly January 6 attack on the US Capitol, a Justice Department official told CBS on Sunday ‘”60 Minutes”. .

“I believe the facts support these allegations,” Acting US Attorney Michael Sherwin said for the District of Columbia. “I think over time more facts will support this.”

Hundreds of supporters of then-President Donald Trump stormed the Capitol in a failed attempt to prevent Congress from confirming Democrat Joe Biden’s victory in the presidential election, sending lawmakers fleeing and leaving five dead.

The Justice Department has already filed indictments against 400 suspects involved in the attack, but none have yet been charged with sedition, the crime of defying US government authority by force.

Since Sherwin announced a task force to investigate the rioters six days after the attack, he has said he will face sedition charges. So far, most of those arrested in connection with the riots have been charged with trespassing or assaulting officials, with a smaller number of conspiracy to obstruct Congress.

(Reporting by Joel Schectman; Editing by Peter Cooney)

Previous Money affects your happiness, but it's complicated
Next Changing federal guidelines, logistical hiccups delay emergency grants for college students