US “Seeks New Options” to Block Nuclear Iran


NEW YORK: Yemeni staff employed by the US embassy in Sana’a are still harassed and detained by the Houthis, the US ambassador to the UN told the Security Council on Tuesday.

Linda Thomas-Greenfield added that the militia also continued to ignore repeated calls from the international community to end its offensive in Marib and had stepped up its cross-border attacks against targets in Saudi Arabia.

These “provocative and dangerous actions (underline) the need for Iran to end its murderous support for the Houthis, which contravenes the resolutions of this body and allows reckless attacks by the Houthis,” she said.

Thomas-Greenfield was speaking at a regular Security Council meeting on the situation in Yemen, during which members were briefed by Hans Grundberg, the UN special envoy to the country. He said he was alarmed by the ongoing Marib offensive, and the violence, he said, had “increased considerably” with the “risk that it would open a new chapter in the war in Yemen which is even more fragmented and bloody ”.

The offensive endangers thousands of people, Thomas-Greenfield said, and could result in the displacement of half a million civilians. “The Houthis must stop this offensive immediately,” she reiterated.

On December 9, a Houthi missile struck a camp for internally displaced people run by the International Organization for Migration. Five children were among the injured.

“This is unacceptable,” said Thomas-Greenfield. “We condemn in the strongest terms this attack and all too frequent similar attacks against civilians. “

The US envoy also condemned “the intensification of cross-border attacks by the Houthis against Saudi Arabia in recent months, including three ballistic missiles launched in Riyadh last week.”

She added: “The Houthis have carried out well over 350 such attacks this year – a staggering number and a shocking increase from last year’s total.

“Each of these attacks by the Houthis, in and of themselves, is unacceptable. Together, they send a frightening and unequivocal signal about the reluctance of the Houthis to participate in a peaceful political process or a future government that upholds the rule of law.

Regarding the seizure of the US embassy in Sanaa, Thomas-Greenfield called on the Houthis to release unharmed all workers at the site who are still being detained, to leave the compound immediately, to return the seized goods and to ” cease their threats against their own citizens. , simply for having been employed by us.

Operations at the embassy ceased in 2015 and U.S. personnel were withdrawn, but Yemeni workers remained, providing security and guard services. Dozens of them were arrested when the Houthis broke into the compound in mid-November.

Thomas-Greenfield also issued another warning about the danger posed by the Safer, an oil tanker docked in the Red Sea off the coast of Yemen since 2015 that is believed to contain around 1.14 million barrels of oil.

His condition has deteriorated dramatically and “remains an environmental, humanitarian and economic threat of vast proportions,” Thomas-Greenfield said.

“The Houthis bear the responsibility for this situation, and the United States supports the discussion of any solution that can remedy it safely and urgently,” she added.

Calling on all parties to engage with Grundberg in her efforts to create a framework for an inclusive political process in Yemen, she warned that if the conflict continues, “Yemen’s economy will deteriorate further, and with it the means to sustenance of millions of Yemenis. Lives will continue to be threatened and generations of Yemenis will bear the scars. “

However, she added: “As the Houthis continue their escalating actions, we welcome the efforts of other parties to improve conditions in Yemen, including the United Nations initiative to intensify its approach to combat the drivers of food insecurity across Yemen. “

Thomas-Greenfield said the United States, like the United Kingdom, is “encouraged” by the appointment on December 6 of a new governor of the Central Bank of Yemen, as well as a new chairman of the board. and other new board members.

“We hope that these appointments will serve as a step forward in the fight against the economic instability which exacerbates humanitarian suffering and will advance the necessary reforms,” ​​she added.

“Real progress, however, cannot be sustained without additional resources. We hope that countries can seize this moment to support Yemen’s economy and provide urgent assistance to its people. The call to action launched by the special envoy was heard loud and clear by this Council.

She concluded, “In the face of Houthi provocation, harassment and violence against their own people, I want the Houthis to know that the United States will never abandon the people of Yemen.

Source link

Previous Report reveals performance gap between regions with Covid-19 restrictions and those with fewer
Next Ahmedabad Based Online PSB Loans Raise Rs 50 Cr